It’s my first time to try this! Mama brought some magazines from work and she asked me if i can bake any dessert out from those magazines. At first I’m a bit hesistant because: 1.) I got lotsa uni work today! Seminar, poster presentation and an essay to hand in on Thursday and Friday. 2.) I’m just lazy. Hehe.
I baked it anyway! Haha. It was realllly easy! I think it’s the easiest dessert I’ve made so far.
Here’s the recipe 🙂
- 175g self-raising flour
- 100g packet walnut pieces
- 175g butter, softened
- 3 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp cold, strong black coffee (I’ve used Starbucks Estima)
For the icing:
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp hot, strong black coffee (Used 4 tbsp because I want it really strong)
- 15 pieces walnut
1. Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190c. Tip the flour into the bowl of a food processor and add the walnut pieces. Whizz until walnuts are finely ground. Alternatively, finely chop the nuts and stir them into the flour.
2. Tip flour into a bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and coffee. (Put one egg at a time, that’s what I did anyway, so it’s incorporated really well) Beat until smooth, then spoon into the baking tin (18x28cm, lined with baking parchment). Level the surface.
3. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30minutes, or until just firm to the touch in the centre. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it tool in the tin for 10-15minutes. Then, put it in a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing 🙂
1. Tip the icing sugar, butter and coffee into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Just before serving, cut the cold cake into squares. Spoon some of the topping and top with walnut pieces.
Finished product 🙂